Formed in 2003 Environment Systems has come a long way, in a relatively short time, to become an established consultancy with a valued reputation using our recognised expertise in data analysis – specifically geoinformatics and earth observation.
Over the last ten years we have been involved in some significant projects, highlights include:
- Completion of a new habitat map for the whole of Wales
- Development and maintenance of the ‘Woods for People’ accessible woodland inventory
- Agri-environment monitoring Wales, Scotland and England
- Pioneering work in the modelling and mapping of ecosystem services leading to the development of our SENCE brand
- Identification of property and land interests in preparation for the London 2012 Olympics
- Innovative invasive species mapping including the launch of a new service for mapping Japanese Knotweed and Himalayan Balsam
- Marine and coastal habitat monitoring and assessment
- ‘State of the Crop’ agricultural intelligence using UAV captured imagery.
Environment Systems is increasingly working beyond the UK, exporting our full range of products and services.
Finally in late 2014 Environment Systems purchased the business interests of Ecology Matters adding a broad range of ecological services to our portfolio.
Our ability to operate at the interface of science and routine operations enables us to give our customers insight into the latest technology and thinking whilst delivering the evidence required to address today’s challenges.
Our vision is to be the leading supplier of evidence and insight. We will do this by becoming the leading research-led, environmental and agricultural information consultancy and services company.
Steve is a founder and Director of Environment Systems, he has over twenty years experience in applying GIS and remote sensing technologies to environmental and agricultural applications.
Steve has worked on projects across the UK and globally at a range of scales for mapping, monitoring and modelling.
Steve is a Chartered Geographer (GIS) and a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.
Graeme is a founder and Director of Environment Systems with over twenty years experience in the geographic information industry with a background in the building design and construction management sector.
Graeme has overall responsibility of resourcing across the full range of Environment Systems’ projects and general company administration.
Dr Katie Medcalf
Katie is Environment Director at Environment Systems and has over twenty years of experience in delivering successful projects in environmental policy, agri-environment, ecology, GIS and remote sensing.
An ecologist by training, Katie is highly creative and leads the company’s innovation in environmental research and provides expert input across a range of projects.
Katie is a Chartered Environmentalist and member of the Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management and the British Ecological Society.
For general enquiries please call +44 (0)1970 626688 or use our online form.
- Aberystwyth Office:
Environment Systems Ltd
9 Cefn Llan Science Park
+44 (0)1970 626688
- Harwell Office:
Environment Systems is affiliated with and its staff are members of a number of important societies and professional bodies:
- AGI – The Association for Geographic Information
- BARSC – The British Association of Remote Sensing Companies
- BCS – The Chartered Institute for IT
- BSBI – The Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland
- BES British Ecological Society
- CIEEM – Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- ECSA – European Citizen Science Association
- GODAN – Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition
- IEMA – Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment
- IES – The Institution of Environmental Sciences
- NCC – The Natural Capital Coalition
- ODI – Open Data Institute
- OGC – Open Geospatial Consortium
- PMI – Project Management Institute
- RGS – Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers)
- RSPSoc – Remote Sensing and Photogrammetry Society
- SARIC – Sustainable Agriculture Research & Innovation Club
Habitat mappingAshdown Forrest
Preliminary EcologicalAppraisal – Wales
Ecosystem ServicesDyfi Estuary
Nightjar radio trackingSurvey
Ecosystem ServicesFlood risk management
Biodiversity for BristolOpportunities mapping
Ecosystem ServicesWest of England
Habitat ConnectivityStrategy for Highways
Protecting BiodiversityWind Farm Development
As a leading edge consultancy we are always on the look out for talent. We are specifically on the look out for technical, commercial and project management skills in the associated areas:
- Environmental science
- Landscape ecology
- Ecosystem services
- Data science
- Remote sensing
- Image processing and classification
- Data fusion
- Citizen science
- Geospatial software development
If you match up please feel free to send your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Currently we have an exciting vacancy for a Software Developer. Find out more.
Environment Systems recognises the value of research and development for commercial application. The Company is an active participant in a number of prestigious national and international research projects and runs its own internal research programmes. Environment Systems actively supports a number of academic institutions with collaborative projects contributing towards their Research Excellence Framework submissions. It also sponsors MSc, MPhil and PhD placements and serves on several scientific advisory panels.
Quality and Environmental Management
- BS EN ISO 9001:2000
Environment Systems operates a Quality Management System that has gained BS EN ISO 9001:2000 certification (certificate number GB2002898), including aspects specific to the provision of geographic and environmental information, consultancy and services.
- BS 8555
Environment Systems has an Environment Management System (EMS) which is accredited to BS8555:2003 Phase 2. An EMS serves as a tool to improve environmental performance and provides a framework for how that performance can be monitored, controlled and improved.
- In 2015/16 Environment Systems has:
- Achieved a 11.3% reduction in the total waste we generate
- Reduced the amount of our waste that went into landfill by 59.1%
- Reduced the total amount of recyling waste by 17.6%
- Increased the total amount of waste that went for composting by 39.0%
Much of Environment System’s work ends up in the form of published reports for use by policy and decision makers. Here are some of them: